|National Football League|
Falcons sign RB Antone Smith to 2-year extension
- Jets RB Johnson not worried about knee
- CFL team signs Chad Johnson for 2 years
- Arrest links to Hernandez murder case
- Ex-QB McNabb spends day in jail for DUI
- Jags cut LB Allen after failed physical
ATLANTA (AP) The Atlanta Falcons have signed running back Antone Smith to a two-year contract extension.
Smith has only one carry in three seasons with the Falcons. Playing primarily on special teams, Smith appeared in 13 games in 2012 and had four tackles.
Smith, who first signed with Detroit as an undrafted college free agent before the 2009 season, was signed to the Falcons' practice squad during the 2009 season.
The Falcons released three veterans, including running back Michael Turner, on Friday. Jacquizz Rodgers, the team's second-leading rusher last season, could have a more prominent role in 2013. The team is expected to look for help at running back through free agency or the draft.
Updated March 5, 2013